Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Just 101 things....

I was in the kitchen this morning fixing Jake's lunch for school when he walked up behind me and nervously asked me a question. "Mom, I know I'm gonna be in trouble but, do we have 101 things that I can put into a bag and take to school?" You can imagine my surprise by this question as I looked at the clock that showed he had 20 mins. before school started. My reaction was, "UHHH...no what do you need it for? And why are you asking me this question when you are about ready to walk out the door??" He of course was looking very guilty and explained he forgot and that it was for the celebration of 101 days of school. The little look on his face soften me and so I said, "Okay so what are we talking about here?" He eagerly told me just small things and was quickly trying to pacify this irritated mommy. So I went to town. Rushing around the house in a sprint trying to accumulate 101 things in now 17 minutes.
He of course was still looking nervous as I would ask him if certain objects were okay.He would always nod in agreement, but I could sense that he was not feeling the objects. The thing that finally broke the silence was when I picked up an arm off some poor action figure that had obvious seen better days and asked if he could use it...hehe..I know but i was desperate.. That is when he then decided to break the news that it had to be similar items and maybe even along the lines of the food group. Like beans or macaroni. He kept referring to them as I would show him paper clips, batteries, wire ties, and all sorts of junk that was in an obvious "catch all" basket. I would think okay I'll put a bean and a piece of macaroni in, but my tight lipped son was worried that the more he turned down, the hotter the water he was gonna be in for springing this project on me last minute.
So, I had mercy and we counted out 101 black beans and put them in a Ziploc bag. He mumbled something under his breath as he put his back pack on, so I asked him what he said. He said "Oh nothing I was just thinking that it could have been something I could actually have eaten, but I know we are running late." My words back, "Don't push it." Message received. And off he and his little black beans went to be educated.

7 Comments:

  • LOLOLOL I am still laughing my head off. This is sooo funny. It reminds me of my children.

    By Blogger Kim's Life, at February 7, 2007 at 1:14 AM  

  • You just gotta love kids. You poor thing - 101 things - 20 mins. I'm impressed you had enough of a brain at that time in the morning. I don't think I could have done it. My brain doesn't kick in until around 10 which is a shame because I start work at 8:30.

    By Blogger Nadine, at February 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM  

  • Mary that is too funny looking around your home for 101 thingys! ohhhh... Being a mom is fun.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at February 7, 2007 at 7:13 AM  

  • Oh my, oh my...ok so this is one of those I am sitting at my desk trying to be tight lipped with not even a grin in sight, and of course I'm about to die laughing picturing Jake going..MOM...that won't work and of course the ending statement...I loved it! Anyhow I love you guys!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 7, 2007 at 8:04 AM  

  • Okay that is too funny. When you told me the story yesterday, you know I giggled. Trying to find a 101 DIFFERENT things to take in a bag is priceless! I had to do that for Levi in kindergarten. I gave him 100 pennies. Not wise. Heavy, and what child didn't have the devil on their shoulder telling them to snag THAT bag...hehehe This Mama put her boy to the test that day...lol.

    By Blogger Trina, at February 7, 2007 at 8:14 AM  

  • That is so funny! I can just see him squirming around and thinking "how do I get her to do it my way, without trouble?" Have a great day!

    By Blogger meNmykids, at February 7, 2007 at 11:40 AM  

  • That is too funny! Im glad you found something that worked for him.

    By Blogger momto3blessings, at February 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home