Sunday, February 4, 2007

Reaching Benchmark

Last year, at the end of the school year I went to my son, Jake's school assembly. The principal was up and he was encouraging us parents to be all we could be and participate actively in our child's learning process. (This is the part that I was actually listening to.) Anyway, he told us a static that was a little alarming and hopeful untrue. He told us that if we didn't continue to have our children read over the summer then they could go DOWN 1-2 grade levels in this area!! Well, Jake was only in 1st grade and so what.... he was gonna totally gonna forget how to read...not possible.
Well the summer came and went and good times were had by all, and nobody was ready for the school year to begin again. I did however remember this little assembly briefing and I honestly often considered getting some books out and having Jake read them now and then. But I didn't. Now I'm not saying he didn't read all summer, but it definitely was not on a routine bases or even close to that.
At the beginning of the year the kids are all tested to see where their reading level is at. Our school has what is called "benchmark." This is the reading level that the child should be at according to his grade. It is determined by how many words they are able to read correctly in a minute. Now I am a little confused on who actually decided the level and how they know that EVERY CHILD in that grade should be there and at that speed, but who am I??
Well we got a letter about the 3rd or 4th week of school informing us that Jake did not reach benchmark. Now, Jake is a pretty smart little boy, so this news was of course unsettling to me and my husband. However I do claim most of the responsibility for this drop because of the lack of effort on my part throughout the summer. I was pretty upset with myself because after all I am the parent and I should have encouraged more reading time. I really wasn't out to test the Principal's theory or challenge that little stat that he quoted last year, the summer just got away from us. I know... I must seem like the worst mom ever.
Anyway, the letter informed us that they would test the children again in Jan. and see if they reached the next benchmark. So that was our new goal, we had some ground to cover, but I had confidence in him that we could get him there. Well as the date for the next test got closer and closer, I personally was feeling a little nervous. Not really sure why, but it was definitely there. I mean what was gonna happen??? Nothing. I mean he is only in second grade..right?
At the beginning of each week they would test his reading speed. Now it would frustrate me because the material that they would bring home was alittle ramble some, and actually was pretty boring. Jake would not do so great at the first read, which he was just given and asked to read immediately, so his cold time was not very good. But by the end of the week his hot time was amazing and he would almost double this score. However when the next week rolled around and a new passage was handed out he would drop back down. VERY FRUSTRATING!! Now is this just the momma bear in me coming out to protect my bear cub?? Maybe. But the whole grading scale is waka-doo, if you ask me. I mean why the element of surprise here??
Well, Jake came home from school Friday very excited because he had done it...he reached benchmark!! I was so pumped for him and the look of pride and accomplishment on his little face was wonderful. He did great and Rusty and I are so proud of him. Not just because he reached this goal, but because he also learned by hard work and dedication you can achieve alot.
As for the whole "benchmark" thing, I'm not convinced that it is the right way to judge a child's reading level and their skills surrounding that, and if speed reading is really a necessity for 2nd graders. But this summer we will definitely have some quiet time with a book in our hands. Lesson learned.
BTW...Sorry about the crazy long post.:-)

5 Comments:

  • Good habits are formed early. Children should be read to or have time set aside for reading on a routine basis. Keep them interested in learning.

    By Blogger JR's Thumbprints, at February 5, 2007 at 1:54 AM  

  • What a relief Mary. I have been there, trying to prep for tests, with my kids. It is a great when you and your child make your goals together.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at February 5, 2007 at 6:43 AM  

  • How good it is to reach goals. I love when my kids (who are grown now) reach goals they set. As far as benchmark goes - it's the same as when the kids were babies and someone said they had to walk, talk, by a certain age. Enjoyed your story.

    By Blogger Nadine, at February 5, 2007 at 7:48 AM  

  • I am so pleased that Jake met his benchmark. I know how nervous you were, but you were a good mommy and dug your heels in...Good for both of you!!

    By Blogger Trina, at February 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM  

  • Yeah for Jake!! I am one of those moms that makes a pact right before summer starts that we are going to read everyday and do some math, and we just get busy and have too much fun I guess. I need to be better about that.

    By Blogger Nicole, at February 5, 2007 at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home