Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Remodeling Newbie Style....

As least I didn't go as far as this lady..hehe
So where is Bob Vila when you need him?? Or maybe Marthe Stewart?? Anyone, anyone??
So here is the deal. My hubby is gone on business and I got the wild hair to redo my bedroom while he was gone. You know have it all done when he gets back and be like,
"Surprise!" Okay so the one that is surprised is ME with all the work I have to do to get this thing accomplished.
We have been planning on redoing our bedroom, or should I say I have, but he has known about so it is not like I'm out spending tons of dough without his knowledge, but I was hoping that I could be resourceful and impress him.
However when he walks trough that door tomorrow impressed will not be the emotion he fills, probably more like confused and a little irritated.

I started out the day picking up some things for my walls and and selecting the perfect window treatment. Got home all excited to knock this task out and then maybe have some free time to kill. Naive aren't I?
We had a border that previously matched our old bedroom decor and that DEFINITELY had to go. No problem , I'll just peel that baby off and slap a coat of paint on and by morning all will be dry and right with the world. I know I'm sure many of you experienced decorators are laughing your heads off right now, but I seriously thought I had this under control.
Well I stared on the border and sprayed it with water as my good friend told me to. Went to scrap the paper and it wasn't coming up so easy. puzzling.. Okay no problem, I just need a better scrapper, I guess my FINGERNAILS won't do the trick...yes that is what I was using. More water applied, and got some sort of thin spatula like object that I was sure was going to do the trick..nope. Not much better. I quickly IMed Trina for some advice and she informed me that, "Yes it was gonna be some work" ..Greattttt, so I get back at it and work for about another 30-45 min and barely make a dent. Could I get carpal tunnel syndrome from this?? Cuz this was some crazy straining on my fingers. My wall was now drenched and streaks of water running down everywhere. I would wipe them away but you could still see it later. Was my paint wiping off as well?? How many can of worms did I open here?? I thought surely there is some else out there who has invented something to make this job easier..I mean it is 2007 and borders have been going up and coming off for years. Yes, I found it..you can buy something call DIF and it will do the trick. Well that doesn't help me right now plus I am anxious and on a time schedule, so I get the brilliant idea to research homemade removers.
Fabric softener and hot water apply with sponge or paint roller wait for 25 minutes and remove. Oh yeah, I got this now. Sad really how confident I am at times only to be knocked down a peg or two so quickly. So up on my wall goes 2/3 hot water and 1/3 fabric softener. Downy sure has a powerful smell when it is dripping down your shirt sleeve, past your armpit, and out the bottom of your shirt. GOOD TIMES. Of course the mixture is crazy thin and runs everywhere and I now trying to protect all my new wall hangings and carpet and new bed set with my slimy fabric soft fingers. GRRRRR... So now my room smells like a laundry mat, and not good like one but STRONG like one. 25 min later nothing happens. No peeling right off like what was promised, but more carpal tunnel injuries. So I am thinking that waiting on this DIF isn't such a bad idea after all. I mean a little patience never hurt anybody right??

7 Comments:

  • Oh Mary.. You are right it is 2007 and they should have something out there to make it go faster. I have removed wall paper several times over the years and it is pain staking process. I did it one time after just newly wallpapering a kitchen wall to absolute hate the end result. And I had to re-wallpaper, cuz the texture was then off the walls. Regret. It made me laugh to think you were desperately racing against the clock. Most of my remodel work is being done, becuz some big event is the next day. Not good, but gets hubby moving.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at February 14, 2007 at 7:51 AM  

  • ICK on the remodeling. That is NOT fun. Hang in there!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 at 8:24 AM  

  • Okay, as usual, I loved all the visuals and was laughing out loud (big surprise)!! You poor girl! I will come help you WOMAN!!

    By Blogger Trina, at February 14, 2007 at 8:26 AM  

  • You brave soul. When it is all done you'll be proud as can be. I'm scared to death to actually tackle anything, so I go around with these huge plans in my head. Tomorrow. Or maybe the next day....
    Gale

    By Blogger meNmykids, at February 14, 2007 at 9:05 AM  

  • Oh my word. It sounds like you are having a time. I love that you took this task on yourself. It's the thought that counts anyway, right?

    By Blogger Nicole, at February 14, 2007 at 4:58 PM  

  • I hope you were able to get it fixed. And I hope you were able to take Trina up on her Generous offer to help you.

    By Blogger momto3blessings, at February 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM  

  • You get major credit for attempting this project. I still have white walls in my house.

    By Blogger Nadine, at February 15, 2007 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home