Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Shopping We Will Go...

Jake's birthday is Monday and Hailey's is Thursday of this coming week and as of today we still didn't have 1 single present for either of them. Oh sure I have some ideas but that is about as far as they got..ideas. So I convinced Rusty to come and take the family and spend our Saturday..shopping. Well I set this word apart because if any of you know my dear hubby than you know that shopping is almost a dirty word in his mind. He really wants no part of it and it normally it takes an act of Congress to get him to go, but today I was in luck. He went without kicking and screaming!!! A few sighs and head in the hands moments, but no actual words of protest came out of his mouth, so I showed no mercy and we went..hehe.
The day went pretty smoothly with the exception of constantly dividing up to sneak off to buy Jake's present..Hailey is much easier at age 1 turning 2. We could actually put the toy in the basket and sometimes let her hold it without any of the surprise being given away. Jake on the other hand is a little sharper than her and well I got to be honest I am thankful for that..LOL, but it does make present shopping more interesting. Of course we also had Jarred with us who kept ''whispering" about Jake's gift to us when Jake was around so we were constantly dodging that bullet.
However Rusty and I put our heads together and figured out a way to out-smart our little one and at the same time also manged to dash every hope he had that he just KNEW what he was getting. You know we pulled the whole: I'm so confused, what do you want again bit, and well I need to talk to Dad about it, and are you SURE you want THAT?...We pulled out all the stops to make sure he would be surprised on Monday.
Because that is what good parents do right...lie to their kids?? LOL No, I'm just kidding, in our defense there was no actually lies being told, just a little harmless trickery. So with our mission accomplished, and Rusty's threshold for shopping getting weaker and weaker, we feed the troops and started on on journey home.
On the 1 hr car ride home Rusty and I found ourselves chuckling to each on Jake's behalf. I know I have spoken before about how he is our "question man", but let me give you an example of why I have attached his name to this label. This rapid fire came at us and let me just say, the next one was coming as soon as the previous was answered...I left out our answers in fear that I might get writers cramp from all the he said I saids...Here we go.......
"Mom, who ate the most in the car today?"
"Did you see that I ate all my baked potato?"
"Mom, who ate the 2nd most in the car today?"
"Did you guys buy me any presents today?"
"Did you guys buy me a pocket knife?"
"Dad, Do killer whales eat penguins?"
"Mom, so if 2 killer whales were together do you think they would fight over a penguin?"
"Who is older Grandpa Phil or Grandma Betty?"
After this final answer Rusty and I started laughing and Jake said,
"What?"
Rusty said, "You never stop asking questions..I think you think out loud."
And with that Jake said, "Yeah I guess I do." That even brought him a good laugh.
We LOVE our Jake and we know his questions are just a small part of what makes him who he is. Although there are times that I have had to stop him in mid-question to tell him I need a break. I know it is just his curious mind working overtime and that even though I might complain once in a while, I love his thirst for knowledge. We are so blessed to have him and our other two children, we am truly indebted to the Lord..in so many ways.

9 Comments:

  • Kids like that make me smile! Being a teacher, I'm asked so many questions a day it's hard to keep up. Boy, his mind sure is jumping from topic to topic...but that questioning nature is great. :)

    Ahh, shopping...that is my magic word! My dad went to Sam Moon (a large accessories outlet) with my mom and me and he was miserable. He'd walk around with us for a while and then have to step outside. He even came back and told us that there were benches outside for husbands!

    Anyway, sounds like you had a wonderful family outing!

    By Blogger Steff, at April 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM  

  • I can hear Jake rattling off all those questions Mary! That made me smile! You know the older sisters always said you want a busy child because that means they are really smart! So I guess we have REALLY smart kids!!! lol

    By Blogger Trina, at April 15, 2007 at 3:57 PM  

  • Happy Birthday Jake! (and Hailey too, just in case I don't pop by on Thu!!)

    By Blogger la bellina mammina, at April 15, 2007 at 6:59 PM  

  • I love the Jake stories! He has such personality! I can almost hear that car ride home!! ha!

    By Blogger Lori, at April 15, 2007 at 7:16 PM  

  • Hey it is me...I figured out how to post..yippee..I am not just a lurker anymore...Trav wants to know the answers to Jake's questions. I want to know how you got your dear hubby to go shopping and an hour drive.

    Happy Birthday Jake!
    --Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM  

  • Happy Birthday Jakester!! I can't believe you are 8!! Wooohoooo!!! I hope you have a really fun bday party!

    By Blogger Trina, at April 16, 2007 at 7:37 AM  

  • Sounds like you guys had a fun family day. I am very glad that Jake is sharper than Hailey! (no offence Hailey)

    By Blogger Chantel H, at April 16, 2007 at 4:17 PM  

  • What fun. My son was a rapid question kid. You always have great stories to share about the boys and it brings a smile to my face.

    By Blogger Nadine, at April 16, 2007 at 11:14 PM  

  • Sounds fun. Jake is a sharp little guy, Hailey too. Hope the birthdays were all great.
    Gale

    By Blogger meNmykids, at April 17, 2007 at 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home