Friday, July 6, 2007

One Down..Too Many To GO

I mentioned before about being in the mood for changing my house so I decided that yesterday was the day...I mean I needed to start somewhere right??


Last fall when our long lost friends lived here (Trina and Dennis) they helped us re tile our hallway and dining room. It looked AMAZING when we got done. We had about 2 boxes left when we got done so, Rusty and I decided that we would go ahead and put it down in our master bathroom. Well, cut to about 7 months later and we were no closer to accomplishing that task than we were when we decide to do it that day, so I took action...hehe


Now don't go getting impressed or anything , because after all it is only that vinyl tile that has the sticky tac on the back. However, for the novice carpenter that I am, it was almost too much for this gal to handle. Rusty works crazy hours in the summer and so I decided that I might as well give it a shot myself. I took some pictures of the before and after.....




Here is the before pic of our bathroom. I know the carpet is awful, and why it took us 21/2 yrs to remove it is beyond me!!




This is what was under the pink carpet..the beautiful 70s yellow linoleum...Ahh, gorgeous, wouldn't ya say??


And this is the finished product.....

Now please don't look too closely all you carpenters and tile people out there. There are many and I mean many spots that would make a true professional cringe. Really who am I kidding, even to the untrained eye there are spots that one would say, "Ohh My" LOL
But mission accomplished and even though there were times when I was about to pull my hair out and I definitely lost my patience a time or two with all the interruptions from the kids, I'm satisfied or should I say done...hehe However, I do have a whole new appreciation for this line of work because this tiny bathroom took me about 7 hrs and like I said all I really had to do was pull off the paper on the back and stick it down.
But who knew I could use a razor blade for 7 hours and come away without even a cut..I know Rusty would have bet against me on that one. Another little thing I learned, and I will just throw it out there as say a helpful hint...The paper that is stuck to the back of each tile is apparently "special paper" and cannot be replaced by normal paper if you are needing to re-cut or you know, maybe peeled the paper off too early and are needing to stick it somewhere..just a little lesson I learned along my tiling journey.:-)
Well there you have it in all its glory..I guess I can add it to the list of things that I have now done in my lifetime.
Now on to the next task!!

15 Comments:

  • Looks great! You are indeed a wonder, I need to take a lesson or two. So glad that after 7 hours you came away with no cuts. I would have got my first one at about 1 1/2 minutes! You feel so good when something that has driven you crazy is taken care of...by your own self. Congratulations, if I were a tile setter I'd hire you.

    By Blogger meNmykids, at July 6, 2007 at 10:12 PM  

  • I am impressed!! Wow! Do you just walk in there and smile now?

    By Blogger Lori, at July 7, 2007 at 8:26 AM  

  • It looks great and I bet you are happy every time you go in there.
    I have had a bathroom with carpet and I hated it. I can understand why it took so long. Nothing says I need Momma to a child like Mom being really busy.
    Sylvia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 7, 2007 at 1:52 PM  

  • Looks good. That is our next project in our bathroom , new tile!

    By Blogger momto3blessings, at July 7, 2007 at 4:12 PM  

  • As a tile mans wife I say you did a wonderful job. I lived in homes with carpet in the bathroom before and it is awful. I always wonder how many boys missed the toilet at times. Yuck!!! But sometimes it's hard to get the man to do what we want so we have to do it ourself. You go girl!!!

    By Blogger Cherrie, at July 7, 2007 at 8:11 PM  

  • Are you kidding me? It looks great. I would have never ever tried to do it myself. I'm very impressed that you tried and did it. You should be proud. I've been away for a while and I'm catching up on my blog friends.

    Cute little birdie that came by for a visit.

    By Blogger Nadine, at July 8, 2007 at 3:26 PM  

  • It looks great!!! I know why you waited so long....hello? Crazy busy schedules! But it was SOOO worth the wait! And doesn't it feel good to say you did it yourself??

    By Blogger Lindsey, at July 8, 2007 at 8:14 PM  

  • That looks AMAZING! I knew you could do it! I can't believe the before and after shots. At first, I was thinking the yellow linoleum was it. But I was like nooooo I remember what we picked out...thankfully it was the pic below. I would be doing the jig on that baby! WOOHOOO!!

    By Blogger Trina, at July 8, 2007 at 10:48 PM  

  • Good job MK!

    By Blogger la bellina mammina, at July 9, 2007 at 1:09 AM  

  • Excellent! That's great that you tackled the job. Doesn't it feel awesome to know you did it yourself?
    Enjoy it!

    By Blogger D, at July 9, 2007 at 6:16 AM  

  • Mom didn't do tile, but it took her several hours to do our awesome kitchen floor. Actually, since we couldn't walk on the floor for the whole day, it certainly seemed like more than a few hours! But now, the finished product is wonderful. Except for the little spots here and there where either it didn't dry all of the way, or you see a red heart or "Everybody's". You see, it was made out of paper bags!!! My Mom, the mastermind!

    By Blogger Sabriena, at July 9, 2007 at 5:23 PM  

  • I am impressed. I just would not have done it Mary. I bet Rusty thought you were just a wonder.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at July 9, 2007 at 5:29 PM  

  • First...THANK YOU for the rockin' blogger award! I've been out of touch with my computer lately so I couldn't thank you properly but I appreciate it all the same!

    Secondly...I don't have a drop of carpenteriness in me (even though my father is one!) so I totally think you rock for doing that!

    Makes me sort of want to strap on a tool belt and fix something. Sort of.

    By Blogger Steff, at July 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM  

  • Thats awesome!! Good foor you....I think it looks great I am very impressed! You will now have that feeling of accomplishment each time you walk into your bathroom.

    By Blogger Marisela, at July 10, 2007 at 11:49 PM  

  • It looks terrific!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 28, 2007 at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home