Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bye-Bye Pacifier!!


Can you believe I didn't have one good pic of Hailey with her pacifier..kinda makes me sad!!
My last posted ended with a little side note stating that I was starting the weaning of Hailey's pacifier. Well....It's done!! I am sooo excited and I really can't believe that it is gone. I think that it was as much my crutch as hers. There were so many times in church or in the car when she would start to get loud and I would immediately put her "passie" in her mouth.


So last Friday she woke up and wanted to go out side. I got her dressed and out she went to play. We live in a cul-de-sac and the boys are great about taking her to the little park that is literally only 50 yds away so she can play and swing. She came back in a little while later and had fallen on the driveway and needed consoling. This of course is when she starts asking for he passie. I told her she took it outside with her and that was the last one we had left. We went outside and I couldn't find it ANYWHERE!! She was doing her greatest impression of her fake cry and I was starting to loose my patience. I even offered the boys and some of their friends a dollar to find it..No luck. GRRRRR....


I then thought, whelp this is as good time as any. So I called Rusty and asked him if he was also up for the challenge and he was, and so it began....


For about 30 min. she cried alot and was begging and pleading for it. I kept telling her she lost it and it was Bye-Bye. She then told me to go to the store and buy another one. This little statement only confirmed the fact that she was WAY too old for her little habit and I laughed as I told her they were all out too. Okay just a little white lie here..I mean they COULD have been all out, right?? I do live in a small town..hehe


I then remembered what Rusty's mom told me once about how she broke him of his "Fa-Fa", aka pacifier..crazy how they are always called something different in every family. Anyway, she told him the coyotes took it. They we howling all night long, so they threw it out to them.

I was a little desperate form the constant whining and so I said "It's gone Hailey. The coyotes took it." Not really thinking that she would be even fazed by this.


She stopped crying, put her head down in my lap and sat very still for a few mins. She asked for it 1 more time at nap time and I again told her the coyotes took it and that was the last time she asked for it!!!


CRAZY!!!

Attention Animal Lovers..you might want to skip down to the next paragraph here...
As she was napping I got to thinking as why this new little story was so effective and I then remembered that about 3 weeks ago the whole family was riding home one night from doing some shopping. Rusty was driving and a coyote darted out in front of us. He wasn't able to swerve to get away from it because there was on-coming traffic. We unfortunately ran into it and going 65 miles per hour really didn't leave it much of a chance of survival. The boys being curious as to what was going on, we explained to them what happened. I looked back and Hailey had turned sideways in her car seat with her head bent down, and this is how she spent the rest of the 20 min. car ride home. I really didn't think too much about it at the time because it was late and I just thought she was tired, but now it is all starting to come back to me that it must have really upset her. Then I throw my little "coyotes have your passie" theory out there and she got freaked out!!... Great parenting skills there!! Sigh...

Anyway, the passie is gone and if the next time she sees a dog and doesn't go screaming from the room everything will be Okay..I guess!!


13 Comments:

  • Wow Mary, you have acomplished alot this summer! Congratulations!

    By Blogger cArOl, at August 18, 2007 at 11:07 PM  

  • I am so glad you got that one behind you. We have the passie gone but the potty training not quit. He would get it if I would get in gear more. I am a lazy mom right know concerning this issue. Soon very soon I will find the time. hehehe

    By Blogger Cherrie, at August 19, 2007 at 6:55 AM  

  • My mom said that she had a doll in her hands. She said that if I would throw my pacifier away I could have the doll. She says I stood at the trash can for about 20 minutes and then took the doll. It's funny the little tips and tricks parents use to break this habit. Though some parents don't. Nothing like seeing a 5 year old at school with a pacifier. Honest...happened last year in pre-K.

    By Blogger Steff, at August 19, 2007 at 6:56 AM  

  • Wow! Your baby has accomplished alot these past few weeks! congrats! (Thanks for the animal lover warning but curiosity won over and I still read it! ha!)

    By Blogger Lori, at August 19, 2007 at 1:13 PM  

  • You really have accomplished a lot with your little one this summer!

    By Blogger Lindsey, at August 19, 2007 at 7:54 PM  

  • So much transition. It is an accomplishment to have this phase finished with. She is getting so big now, first potty training and now this. You are such a good mom. I love all the stories you share about your children. I know that she will be okay.

    By Blogger Nadine, at August 20, 2007 at 6:37 AM  

  • It is such a hard step to take, but you are right, it would look strange at about 16. Tempting though. How exciting the though of 8 little pacifiers to stick in their mouths. I was always more addicted to the quiet than they were to the pacifier. Good job, hope you don't have any coyote nightmares around there!

    By Blogger meNmykids, at August 20, 2007 at 9:28 AM  

  • Heh, heh! Just to be sure that we don't have the temptation to give it back, we have to throw the pacifiers away. If we just put them in a safe spot "for the next baby" they always get brought back out for "just this once". Yeah right!

    By Blogger Sabriena, at August 20, 2007 at 10:24 AM  

  • Geesh! You are making me sweat over here! I am not sure I can keep up with you on all these milestones when it comes to Roman...hahaha You are such a good mama. You have a beautiful way with your children. No doubts that you have helped Hailey accomplish so much!

    By Blogger Trina, at August 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM  

  • Yay! That's achievement! :-)

    By Blogger la bellina mammina, at August 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM  

  • Potty training and breaking the pacifier habit. You are on quite a roll!! Congratulations!!

    Sylvia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2007 at 3:46 AM  

  • That was so funny Mary! If only my baby could understand, I could use that to break him from his bottle. LOL

    Now she is a big girl potty training and no pacifier.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at August 21, 2007 at 12:31 PM  

  • Hey there! Nice to see you again. I will be weaning Sydney of her plug real soon. Any advice?

    By Blogger Shannon, at August 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home