Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Dad



This is a pic of my dad..isn't it sooo cool???

My dad is a major Civil War buff...BIG TIME!! My Grandma and him love this era. They could and probably have spent many hours talking and researching this very subject. They know which battles our ancestors fought and died in, they how they died and probably which one of your ancestors killed them..hehe No really they know a crazy amount of info on this subject and they totally enjoy all it to the MAX!! My Dad tries to share his knowledge on this matter with me and believe me I try to stay focused, but History is not my thing and I tend zone-out. (Sorry Dad) But I know he really enjoys it so that makes me happy for him.
Several years ago he joined a re-enactment group that goes from place to place and recreates certain battles and such. When they are in the middle of one of these re-enactments, they are in total character including attire, hence the outfit my Dad has on in the above pic. They eat, talk, act, and even sleep in the same accommodations as what the people back in that day did. It is really pretty neat. My mom has even got into it a little and bought a gown for when the have the Formal Balls.
I love that my parents have found something that they love to do and that brings them so much joy..
Love you Mom and Dad!!

9 Comments:

  • That is neat that they have something like that to do together. Very good information for your children to hear and learn some history.

    By Blogger Cherrie, at August 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM  

  • That is a cool picture! I am with you though - history gives me the glazed over look! I can't pay attention to save my life!!

    It's neat that your parents share this interest. I would love to wear those big ballgowns! :-)

    By Blogger Lori, at August 22, 2007 at 5:53 PM  

  • That is a very cool picture! I love how it has been put in sepia like the olden days. I have hard time with history too...hahaha My boys, on the otherhand, would love to bog your Dad down with a thousand questions, or better yet participate in a reenactment! I would love a big petticoat and wear the gowns though. I am all about the clothes in history! So girlie, eh?

    By Blogger Trina, at August 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM  

  • That picture is dripping with character. :) I love it to pieces! It is great that your parents have a common interest.

    By Blogger jessica, at August 22, 2007 at 7:12 PM  

  • So Cool Mary! Our family really enjoys history over here. I love the picture.

    By Blogger Mrs.Martin, at August 23, 2007 at 11:58 AM  

  • by the way, I gave you an award last night on my blog! Check it out!

    By Blogger Lori, at August 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM  

  • What a cool photo! Mitch's family is into that... so Andrea's into it now. I'm expecting I'll see photos of the baby in civil war garb any day lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2007 at 4:13 PM  

  • That is so cool! I especially love the sepia tone to the picture. I like history and I say way to go to any parent that shares that with their child!

    By Blogger Steff, at August 23, 2007 at 6:17 PM  

  • Oh what an awesome picture!
    I have always loved history and I know I would love joining a re-enactment group. ....Maybe someday.

    By Blogger D, at August 24, 2007 at 2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home